Thursday, April 28, 2011

I guess I'm just a planner...

A local tv station out here in Colorado just did a story that got my attention and irked me quite a bit.

They had a group on that was having the "largest baby shower" to benefit the community that couldn't afford baby necessities. The woman on tv actually said that "babies come on their own time" and some families can't afford all the things babies need.

Wait... WHAT??? REALLY??? WTF???

There is a reason I don't have a kid right now. I can't afford it!! I'm in school. Joe is about to quit his job, literally. If I was an irresponsible twit, I'm sure I would have a kid by now. But babies will come on MY time, not their own. I'm on birth control. When I was sick and on antibiotics, Joe and I took other precautions because antibiotics sometimes mess with the pill. A baby SHOULD NOT be a surprise.

Condoms are cheap. Many health centers, including Planned Parenthood, will give you birth control for very cheap or even free - I know the one in my home town does. But beside all of that, if you can't afford birth control, how are you going to afford a baby??

There is no reason the government or any other organization should be supporting you because you got knocked up and can't afford diapers. Don't get knocked up!!

I was in line at the grocery store the day before Easter. The woman in front of me had a toddler in her arms, two young kids standing next to her, and a newborn in the shopping cart. And she was paying with food stamps. And the thought crossed my mind - if you can't afford the kids you have, why are you squeezing out more?? Why are our tax dollars paying for your food? Stop having babies!! I know the government has these handouts for help and support. But this woman will never get on her feet if the mouths to feed keep multiplying. I'm not saying you can't have as many babies as you want, go for it. But don't expect the handouts.

Joe and I went to school with a girl that had 2 kids before she graduated high school. She used to brag that she got money from the government because she had kids and wasn't married. And she's still barefoot and pregnant on her front porch in the middle of Arkansas getting a monthly handout from the government. Maybe that was her dream. I can't even comprehend the idea of doing nothing and thinking taxpayers should support you and your hungry babies. But like I said, I'm not an irresponsible twit.

1 comments:

Erin said...

Amen, sister! SO many people need to learn to be pro-active!

Post a Comment

 
Content Sara and Rigel | Design Poppiness Designs