Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sanctity of Marriage?

I know I might be a little late to the game on this one, but I feel the need to say something. I didn't want to say anything while I was too annoyed; my blogs turn out very ranty. But it's been bugging me so much, I think some things need to be said.

First off, as many of you already know, I'm not the most religious person around. And it pisses me off when people try to use religious doctrine as law of the land. America wasn't based on the christian faith; the founding fathers were deists. That's a fact. Look it up. Two words: Jeffersonian bible. Look that up while you're at it.

Secondly, the crap vote in Maine last week was a complete shock to me. Why are we voting on a person's happiness anyway? Homosexual marriage is no different than interracial marriage. And I know that some bigots still aren't a fan of that, but we aren't voting on it anymore. Everyone needs to chill the fuck out and let people be people. Everyday in my elementary school we stand and say the pledge of allegiance. I don't say it. I think it's a bunch of crap. We are brainwashing our children everyday, but we as a country don't stand up for what it says: with liberty and justice for all.... unless you're a gay man.. I guess.

So lets talk about the sanctity of marriage. We as a country have a 50% divorce rate. And it can only follow that in a country that is primarily christian, most of those divorces are from good "christian" folks. So all of your religious arguments have to be thrown out right there. I am an Army wife. The military has a higher divorce rate than the average civilian population. Research shows that about 20% of marriages fall apart within two years when one spouse has been sent off to war. Plus women in every military branch are more than twice as likely to end their marriages as their men. So you wanna talk about the sanctity of marriage and have a vote about who is able to be married? Lets create a law that says that military personnel cant be married. It's fairly likely to end in divorce anyway and it will save the tax payers a shit load of money! So you know how much money is spent on military dependents? My health care is paid for by taxpayers. My housing is paid for by government money... yep, taxpayers again. And the child support payments from the children of divorce? Can you even imagine how much money that is?

Okay, do I honestly think we should forbid soldiers from getting married? Of course not. Should we prevent ANYONE from getting married? OF COURSE NOT! What happened in Maine is like saying that two blue eyed people cant be married. It's absurd and fairly retarded. This is how our nation is progressing. Remember reading in your history books a time where a whole bunch of stuffy white men had to decide whether or not black men were humans and could have EQUAL rights? Whether or not they could vote and own property? Same with females. Do you remember reading about these brave women fighting for YOUR right to vote and have EQUAL rights to men?

Now you have to tell me how homosexuals fighting for EQUAL rights is any different than that. And you can keep your religious nonsense to yourself. I don't care to hear it. None of it is a good excuse to deny rights to any human being. Your religious shit is just an excuse for you to be a bigot and then hide behind some stupid book.

1 comments:

Bethany said...

Just commenting on the first part of your post. My dad did a sermon this past Sunday on being a nation UNDER God...not equal with God...not one WITH God...but under God. Then he explained how the Founding Fathers were deists and some even refused to express their religious beliefs. I made a lot of people stop and think. So many people assume the Founding Fathers were evangelical Christians...not so...at all! It was a GREAT sermon! And to think he's a Baptist preacher.... ;)

Post a Comment

 
Content Sara and Rigel | Design Poppiness Designs